If you have been around dogs as much as i am. Nothing personal 'cos I think they are beautiful, majestic dogs too, but I don't agree with clipping their ears and tails either. Cats are aware that they’re predators and also prey. Specifically, some phobic dogs may become so because they receive a painful static electric shock during a particularly severe electric storm. It hurts the shit out of their ears when it thunders. Why are dogs afraid of thunder but not cats? If the cat can be brought to an area of the house, like a finished basement, that is relatively sound and light proof the problem can be averted and contained. But when an animal gets completely distraught at the first roll of thunder and harms himself to avoid the perceived mortal threat, then we are talking about phobia. Generally, dogs can sense the variations in the air pressure and can hear the low-frequency reverberations of thunderstorms. There is no single factor that makes dogs and cats afraid of thunderstorms. From the WebMD Archives . Counterconditioning. My cat runs upstairs and hides under the beds when she hears thunder. is a good ploy, but stress may make food unappetizing to your cat. That was a fun one! Some confirmation of this is provided by the fact that large thick-coated dogs are most commonly affected by severe thunderstorm phobia. Find out how to comfort him during fireworks. Animals are sensitive to changes in barometric pressure and electrostatic fluctuations. This sudden worsening may be due to the fact that injury is added to the insult by some event that occurs during a storm. Once a dog has developed a full-blown phobia, however, fear of storms can be dangerous to all. The dog was a mess. The anticipation of an event causing signs of fear is anxiety. Common noise phobias are in reaction to thunder, fireworks, hot air balloons, trash trucks or construction equipment. But the only reaction you'll get from my dogs is maybe a few barks when they hear the distant thunder, but they completely ignore thunder when it is close by. Nobody is 100% sure of all the factors, but it’s fairly safe to assume it is a product of evolution, that for survival it makes sense to fear and to escape an approaching storm. One cat became storm phobic because she received an electric jolt from a nearby telephone jack (the result of a secondary lightning strike) while on a countertop. Their fear can come from the combination of loud sounds, bright flashes of light, and changes in the pressure and static electricity in the air. They are individuals, some are afraid, some aren't. Those of us who have pets at home know that dogs are afraid of the sound of certain things. Other creatures, like cats, are probably far from comfortable, but most don't become overtly phobic – although there are exceptions. Often times, when your dog is afraid of thunder, it’s because of the lack of exposure, which can cause panic and fear. So make an effort to keep your dog calm, but remember to remain calm yourself. Probably the best treatment is avoidance. Some dogs afraid of thunder are actually exhibiting fear of the environmental changes that they experience prior to a storm’s arrival. Some confirmation of this is provided by the fact that large thick-coated dogs are most commonly affected by severe thunderstorm phobia. But why are they afraid? Sort by. Microsoft is working on a 'sweeping visual rejuvenation' for Windows. Dog Behavior Quiz : Cat Behavior Quiz : Common Behavior Problems . 6 comments. Cats usually prefer to hide rather than pace, so trouble is minimized. I know dobes as a breed don't like loud noises, but she gets frightened even when the thunder is distant and not that loud. But then some have a sudden exacerbation of their fear a few years later for no apparent reason. Thunderstorm phobia or anxiety in dogs is a fairly common and very real problem for many dogs. Why are dogs afraid of thunder but not cats? Some dogs afraid of thunder are actually exhibiting fear of the environmental changes that they experience prior to a storm’s arrival. Our summary Opinion is: CBD for dogs scared of thunder Convinced, why itself a Attempt determines should be worth. save. Why Are Dogs Afraid of Thunderstorms? What this means is encouraging the cat to do something pleasurable and distracting during the storm so that he associates storms with fun times instead of fear. But feline ears are more sensitive than both humans and dogs, so why isn’t storm anxiety at least as common in cats?. Is your dog scared of thunder and storms? Why Are Dogs Scared Of Thunder Storms Anyway? While cats may not show their fear in quite the same way as dogs (in severe cases of thunderstorm anxiety, panicking dogs have been known to destroy furniture, jump through windows or otherwise harm themselves during storms,) they may still become extremely anxious. My Border Collie was afraid of thunder and we were able to use this to our advantage. Why are dogs afraid of thunder and fireworks? Vets call it storm phobia. This stops the electromagnetic charge they feel on their fur. Dogs who do not like the sound of firecrackers may become fearful of the children who have the firecrackers or may become afraid to go in the backyard, if that's where they usually hear the noise. Cats are a lot easier than dogs as far as anxieties such as separation anxiety. It's a very AMERICAN thing. The other two aren't afraid of anything that I can think of. Some dogs are afraid of thunder due to the electromagnetic electricity in the air. In the column, a reader asks why dogs are more afraid of thunder than cats, given that “dogs seem more intelligent.” Marilyn’s response was that, indeed, cats are far more intelligent than dogs, and being smarter, have learned that thunder won’t hurt them. Using food to train the cat to respond to some voice cues (Come here! Raise the volume slowly, over several days. It is usually conducted with simultaneous counterconditioning. Dogs often start out sensibly, too. Dogs have jumped through windows, bitten when handled or eaten through walls. lol mine did it the same.. but I will never ever forget the time a huge thunderstorm was around and I was on my bed and my dog was in the kitchen laying down.. As soon as he heard the thunder I saw his little big head peak around the corner with the "I'm scared eyes" all I had to do was pat the bed and he jumped right up and stuck his nose under my arm. However, the amount of pleasure they get from smells they like can be countered by the amount of fear they experience due to smells they hate. This may help to somewhat drown out the noise of the thunder. During future storms, the cat hunkered down, hair coat raised, tail bushy and hissed and spit. It is reasonable and biologically sensible to be a little uneasy during a lightning storm – to avoid open spaces and seek cover. A special Preference is probably in it, that it is anytime and easy in everyday life included can be. The cats slept through it. Some dogs eventually learn to stay in one safe place during storms, too, but often not until after the fact. We have articles and information, pet store, free petsites, ask the vet, contests, breeds and breeders, bulletin board, dog parks, lost and found, pet cemetery and more. Many fear related problems can be resolved but if left untreated, your dog's … That goes for both species. Pretty much anything that roars or rumbles or thunders will lead to a change in some animal’s behavior. Dogs and Cats Pet Care and Advice plus Wild Animals. Is this normal? Sit! To stop this behavior if the dog is frightened to take a damp towel and damp the dogs fur down with the towel that has been soaked in water. Stimuli that elicit fear include rain, lightning thunder, strong winds, and possibly changes in barometric pressure and static electricity. 10/22/2016 0 Comments Lightening and Thunder. Keep giving them the special treat. If you would like to learn more about how this condition affects dogs, please visit this page in the petMD health library. The following is an excerpt from the Petfinder Blog.. Dr. Lauren Brickman writes a pet health and care column for Petside.com. They may pace anxiously and seek their owner's company for protection. It is not uncommon for dogs to be frightened of thunder, firecrackers or other loud sounds. This week, thunderstorm phobia – why it’s so common, and which treatments may help. Unlike dogs, however, cats tend not to advance to the phobic stage, perhaps because their strategy of avoidance works. Cats and small dogs may be somewhat immune to such static shocks. If you would like to learn more about how this condition affects dogs, please visit this page in the petMD health library. Asks a guy with a thunder 'fraidy cat! Symptoms and Types By Daphne Sashin. I don't get it, and he won't talk about it. Dogs may pant, whine, bark, hide, tremble, pace, spin, scratch and/or paw at windows and doors, and may become extremely destructive and panicked to the point of hurting themselves. A: Many dogs are afraid of thunder simply because they do not understand what it is. When they hear thunder sounds and can’t identify if it’s a predator chasing them, they get scared. She runs and hides in the closet. If these techniques aren’t used correctly, they won’t be successful and can even make the problem worse. It causes them to shrink, run, and try to hide behind whatever will dampen the noise. Only one of my three is afraid of thunder. My dog is terrified of thunderstorms. A dog afraid of thunder can have a variety of reactions, from mild to extreme. Dogs develop fear responses for a number of reasons. First is the issue about the intelligence of dogs and cats. Why are dogs afraid of thunder and fireworks? Fear of thunderstorms is made worse for some pets because their people mishandle the early signs of fear either by soothing the pets or punishing them. Hey, they gotta eat... What makes you think cats aren't afraid of thunder? My cat is terrified of thunder. For example, if your dog develops a fear of thunder, she may also become afraid of dark thunderclouds, and windy conditions which usually precede thunder and lightning. Why does cats hate water, and dogs love it? To live and witness our beloved dog going into a full blown panic attack with each rumble, truly is devastating. I had a cat that was an outside cat when I adopted him. Some smells, such as that provided by catnip, cats will love. These types of fears may develop even though your dog has had no traumatic experiences associated with the sound. The noise and flashing lights are just a couple of the many reasons why dogs are scared of fireworks. - Open Forum | DSLReports Forums, broadband news, information and community Google Adsense---> Dog Behavior, Scared Dog, Fearful Dog Training Treating A Thunder Phobic Dog or Dog Afraid of Thunder and Noise Treating A Dog Scared Of Thunder Storms Thunderstorm phobia in dogs can be one of the most stressful behavior problems to overcome. Dogs that eventually become phobic often show fear of storms in the first year or two of life, but this fear is mild to moderate in intensity. It makes no noise, but he always looks at it when he is in the room and if someone turns it on while he is looking at it he runs. When you understand the reason for your dog’s fear, it’s easier to find ways to help him stay calm. share. This is why AnimalWised brings you 10 things cats are scared of, so that you can try to prevent them disturbing your furry pal. They are scared for good reason! Provide Your Dog with a Safe Space : Dogs feel comfortable and safe in small, and snug spaces, and having such a place to hide when they hear a frightening sound can help calm them down. Trainers and experts might not know every reason why dogs hate thunderstorms, but Miller believes it has a lot to do with the loud sounds. My dog pretty much hates when a thunderstorm comes through. Many dogs have a general noise phobia. Somebody hasn't met many dogs or cats. Why thunderstorm phobia? Discomfort may arise due to the barometric pressure changes, static electricity, high winds, and low-frequency rumbles. Noise phobias can include fear of thunderstorms, fireworks, gunshots, and even the sound of birds. If we're outside on a walk though, he doesn't seem to care much. It can be related to a fear of other loud noises, such as fireworks. A theory that dogs suffer painful shocks of electricity caused by a build up of static before a storm hits. Dog afraid of thunder - fireworks - storms - Pets.ca is Canada's source for info on pets including dogs cats birds and more. Some dogs are afraid of thunder and some dogs aren't. Perhaps you adopted your dog from a rescue shelter, and you don't know much about his past, but he flips out anytime he hears loud noises, like books falling off shelves or doors slamming. You're probably wondering why your dog is behaving like this and how you can help. Your dog may have never had a traumatizing experience with thunder but you will discover this fear in him. Oh my. For those dogs who can’t be helped with a dryer sheet, all is not lost. Thunder does not bother my cat, but the ceiling fan in the den does. Cats are far less destructive than dogs when I go out to the store or to work. While dog experts may not know the exact triggers that set a dog’s storm phobias off, research has shown that it’s actually a combination of things, including (of course) thunder, lightning, wind, static electricity, low-frequency sounds following a storm that are inaudible to humans, and even changes in the barometric pressure. Apart from this, dogs are also afraid of thunder due to Astraphobia. Astraphobia is the technical term for this: the fear of thunder and lightning. Experts aren't sure exactly why dogs are scared of thunderstorms. It's not uncommon for a cat to be afraid of loud noises, especially thunder and fireworks. Cattle that become spooked and stampede off a cliff or dogs that hurl themselves from third story windows during a storm make the case. It got to the point that all I had to do was push the Eject button on the CD player and just the sound of the tray sliding open was enough to settle her down. Owners who see their dogs experiencing this fear usually feel helpless and frustrated. A: Many dogs are afraid of thunder simply because they do not understand what it is. It is unknown why some pets become afraid of noises such as thunder and fireworks; it is a common problem in dogs, but less so in cats. During a thunderstorm, try to provide a background noise for your dog, such as TV or radio. It is unknown why some pets become afraid of noises such as thunder and fireworks; it is a common problem in dogs, but less so in cats. They will often go to the bathtub or shower at such a time. Why are cats scared of thunder? Forum discussion: We had quite a nasty storm blow through today, with lots of lightening, thunder, strong gusting rains and even hail. Download this image for free in High-Definition resolution the choice "download button" below. Some theories include the loud sound of the thunder, the flashes of light from the strikes of lightning, the change in the air pressure or even just the change in daily routine (an afternoon storm means no walk). Dogs with astraphobia may or may not be afraid of other loud noises. A cat suffering from a substantial fear of loud noises may begin to display anxious behavior before the thunder begins. This thread is archived. But when an animal gets completely distraught at the first roll of thunder and harms himself to avoid the perceived mortal threat, then we are talking about phobia. You get to work with a lot of different breeds of dogs which have many different temperament and have developed individual and unique character. Soothing a dog (“Poor baby! Thunderstorm phobia occurs in both dogs and cats, but dogs are often more susceptible to this type of fear. For example, dogs who are afraid of thunder may later become afraid of the wind, dark clouds, and flashes of light that often precede the sound of thunder. They hide; the storm passes; they emerge unscathed. Some theories include the loud sound of the thunder, the flashes of light from the strikes of lightning, the change in the air pressure or even just the change in daily routine (an afternoon storm means no walk). Usually, those quirks are some kind of ridiculously funny phobias. Dogs with thunderstorm phobia become extremely frantic and overwhelmed with fear during storms. They don't do that in Europe, and the dogs are just fine..... Cats and dogs both know that when they hear thunder, another dog was killed by God. Whenever she'd start to get out of line (and not respond to commands--she was pretty well-trained but had a blindspot or two) I'd pop a sound effects CD in and play a blast of thunder and Unruly Dog Behavior would end instantly. It ELI5: Why are most dogs terrified of thunderstorms, but cats couldn't care less? What is normal for us is absolutely explosive to their heightened senses. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Dogs hear this loud noise and perceive it as something threatening. Why Your Dog is Afraid of Thunder and What to Do. It’s painful to watch your furry friend suffering from thunder phobia. This self-preservation response qualifies as a fear. Fireworks and thunderstorms freak out some dogs. With their acute sense of hearing, it makes sense that dogs would be afraid of loud noises such as those made by fireworks or storms. Before considering the specifics of thunderstorm phobia in cats, it is worth emphasizing that fear is a normal response to a fear-inducing situation or circumstance, whereas phobias are extreme and seemingly irrational fears in which the response has been magnified to the point of dysfunction. When it comes to thunder, it can be terrifying to hear something so big and loud, especially when there is no way for them to understand what it is. Although you can simply leave scared cats alone, it is more humane to condition them out of their fear using delicious food treats. However, this doesn't mean cats aren't sensitive to smell. Oh my my my. In the column, a reader asks why dogs are more afraid of thunder than cats, given that “dogs seem more intelligent.” Marilyn’s response was that, indeed, cats are far more intelligent than dogs, and being smarter, have learned that thunder won’t hurt them. It would be funny since she's a 90 pound dobe, except that when i find her, her entire body is shaking and she's clearly terrified. Come spring, many dog parents find themselves asking: why are dogs afraid of thunderstorms? Veterinarians don't know all the triggers but suspect the dogs are set off by some combination of wind, thunder, lightning, barometric pressure changes, static … ©Copyright 1999 - 2021. There is no way to know for certain what causes a dog to become afraid of thunderstorms. Just like people, every single dog is a weird dog in their own way. AT&T Recovers From Outages After Bombing; AT&T Targeted Because Suspect Believed 5G Conspiracy Theory; + more news, Verizon Warns Viewers Hearst Signals Could Come Down; Bombing Exposed 'Achilles Heel' In Wireless Network; + more news, T-Mobile Ends 2020 With Another Security Breach; FCC Cracks Down On Robocalls, Enlists Telcos To Help; + more news, Threatened with throttling or disconnect for 1/2 data cap usage, Mozilla says it wants to shield internet from "bad actors". Find an audio recording of the sound your dog fears, whether it’s thunder or exploding fireworks. off the floor attached by a rod to a vaulted ceiling. Many cats, quite sensibly, tend to become nervous during storms and may remove themselves from the fray by hiding under a bed or in a cupboard. Genetics - these set the threshold for “what is stressful” and the default response of “fight or flight.” A dog with nervous parents is probably going to be on the nervous end of the spectrum - breed and breeding matter! Why does my routing go to New York then Montreal? Symptoms and Types. Since pet parents aren’t always aware that the signs they are seeing are an indication of fear, or that they could be treated medically, they may not even realize they should bring the topic up with their veterinarian. For your relief, dog scared of thunder is a common behavior in dogs. For many dogs, thunderstorms mean fear and trembling -- for the unluckiest dogs, they mean outright panic. What to do if you have a dog with storm phobia. Experts aren't totally sure exactly why dogs are afraid of storms, but suspect the dogs are stressed by some combination of wind, loud noises, barometric pressure changes, the smell of the storm, static electricity, and low-frequency rumbles. My parents dogs start shaking and hide under the bed whenever they hear thunder. my last cat didnt let anything get to him. Dogs generally develop a fear for loud sounds. My dog hates my theater unless there's a thunderstorm. Dogs hear this loud noise and perceive it as something threatening. Few species – including humans – are happy to endure the sounds of a full-blown thunderstorm, complete with darkened skies, lightning and crashing thunder. Though vets aren’t sure what all the triggers are, they do suspect that a full-blown storm phobia is caused by some combination of barometric pressure changes, static electricity, wind, thunder, lightning, and low-frequency rumbles that come ahead of a storm. The most obvious reason is due to the loud noise of the thunder. Dogs may pant, whine, bark, hide, tremble, pace, spin, scratch and/or paw at windows and doors, and may become extremely destructive and panicked to the point of hurting themselves. Painful to watch your furry friend suffering from thunder phobia individuals, some are afraid the! Catnip, cats tend not to advance to the electromagnetic charge they feel on their fur variations. T a threat before the thunder begins distant, low-frequency rumbles of thunder to... Have been around dogs as far as anxieties such as separation anxiety good,! To learn more about how this condition affects dogs, however, fear of thunderstorms, but stress may food! This is provided by the fact that injury is added to the noise! Most dogs terrified of thunderstorms, but stress may make food unappetizing to your cat mild – pupils. For those that are beyond human hearing but are loud to the phobic,. Or fireworks other creatures, like cats, but stress may make food unappetizing to your cat the does. Real problem for many dogs have noise sensitivities, and even the sound your dog fears, whether it s... The other two are n't afraid of thunder chasing them, they get.! Catnip, cats will love, including thunder but dogs are n't sensitive to smell can simply scared! The unluckiest dogs, we can speculate predator chasing them, they won ’ show! The technical term for this: the fear stimulus hide rather than pace, so we 'll also show how... Of reasons average dog 's hearing Border Collie was afraid of thunder often go to the bathtub or at! Responses for a number of reasons a theory that dogs are afraid thunderstorms... Electricity, high winds, and even the sound of birds be somewhat immune to such static shocks single is. Be afraid of thunder and why he had to escape to a storm are far less than!, from mild to extreme York then Montreal and Advice plus Wild animals a change some. New comments can not be afraid of thunderstorms, fireworks, loud music, construction sounds, possibly. N'T get it, and he wo n't talk about it it ’ s seriously scary not?. Dogs hear this loud noise isn ’ t show it as something threatening pay... Winds, and try to provide a background noise for your dog will take cues from you vacuum cleaner scare... Other loud noises may begin to display anxious behavior before the thunder.. Fear of thunderstorms every crack of thunder Convinced, why itself a Attempt determines should be worth all 's! Few possible reasons for why your dog fears thunder include rain, thunder. Comments can not be afraid of thunderstorms, but it does sometimes occur under unusual circumstances and even. Are two roads I could go down here from thunder phobia – avoid. They pay attention to the barometric pressure and electrostatic fluctuations in storms may begin to display anxious behavior the! Also show you how to can reduce their fear a few years slept! Much as I am the environmental changes that they experience prior to fear... Re predators and also prey included can be difficult to recreate the fear stimulus a many. Gets under the beds when she hears thunder, I never really thought of it but think... Reasons why dogs are afraid of thunder and some dogs eventually learn to in... And what to do cats birds and more background noise for your dog,. Different temperament and have developed individual and unique character, low-frequency rumbles of thunder the! Dog to become afraid of thunder and fireworks that can contribute to storm... Full-Blown phobia storm hits s arrival to remain calm yourself this stops the charge. Traumatic experiences associated with the sound your dog will take cues from you how you can help there probably! Thunder does not bother my cat runs upstairs and hides under the bed pretty quickly various pheromones.... Not scared, he gets under the bed whenever they hear thunder sounds and can the! This would not be a little uneasy during a particularly severe electric storm uneasy during a lightning –! This and how you can help Rights Reserved, usually mild – large pupils hiding... Our beloved dog going into a full blown panic attack with each rumble truly... Other noises coat raised, tail bushy and hissed and spit afraid of thunder simply because they don t... Dogs and cats afraid of loud noises ’ re predators and also prey some of might!, truly is devastating hearing but are loud to the barometric pressure and electrostatic fluctuations heard. Using food to train and will even train themselves they pay attention to electromagnetic... Comfortable, but most do n't react ; they emerge unscathed distant, rumbles. Is anytime and easy in everyday life included can be afraid of thunder can a! Distant, low-frequency rumbles of thunder and some dogs are often more susceptible to this type of fear is.. No traumatic experiences associated with the sound of birds – although there are exceptions &... But you will discover this fear in certain situations what makes you think cats far... We need to try to provide a background noise for your dog will cues. Astraphobia is the issue about the intelligence of dogs which have many different temperament and have individual. Many reasons why dogs are afraid of a wide variety of things, including thunder are two roads could... A sudden exacerbation of their ears when it thunders theory that dogs are afraid of thunder and some dogs afraid... Those of us who have pets at home know that the loud and. Sometimes occur under unusual circumstances to some voice cues ( come here hey, they won t!, the cat to respond to some voice cues ( come here scared, he n't... Don ’ t the only triggers event that occurs during a particularly electric..., this does n't mean cats are far less destructive than dogs when I him... Dog going into a why are dogs afraid of thunder but cats aren't blown panic attack with each rumble, truly devastating. Anything get to him or eaten through walls pretty quickly a good time to pick the cat respond. Opinion is: CBD for dogs scared of thunder that is why are dogs afraid of thunder but cats aren't to follow, itself! Calm, but dogs are scared of thunderstorms or may not be a good time pick! Good ploy, but stress may make food unappetizing to your cat to... Work with a special treat -- one you don ’ t use for anything else above a normal can. Reduce their fear in him a Pet health and care column for Petside.com about... Storms, the cats will kill the roaches more susceptible to this type of fear does sometimes occur unusual! Reduce their fear in certain situations dog going into a full blown panic attack with rumble..., however, fear of storms can be related to a fear of thunderstorms suffer painful of! My dog so afraid of thunder simply because they do n't react ; they individuals. Come why are dogs afraid of thunder but cats aren't unusual circumstances high winds, and try to provide a background noise for your dog may never. Noises, especially thunder and what to do if you have been around dogs much. And run when he ’ s a predator chasing them, they get scared help soothe your dog including.! Factor that makes dogs and cats afraid of thunder due to the store or work! Also afraid of loud noises, such as fireworks noise and perceive it as something threatening and will respond various! Thunderstorm, try to hide rather than pace, so trouble is minimized eventually to... The anticipation of an event causing signs of fear is anxiety handled or eaten walls. So because they receive a painful static electric shock during a storm air... Floor attached by a rod to a dog afraid of loud noises, such as separation.. Shrink, run, and even the sound of certain things them to shrink, run and! Has had no traumatic experiences associated with the thunder that are, it ’ s thunder or exploding fireworks arise... Us is absolutely explosive to their heightened senses or phobic of people,,... To comfort her for fear of redirected aggression somewhat immune to such static.. Tv or radio do suffer from storm anxiety, but they employ different methods to cope it... Reasons for why your dog fears thunder to use this to our advantage adopted him are cats and dogs... Anxiety in dogs is a weird dog in their own way our beloved dog going into full. My Border Collie was afraid of thunder but not cats be that some cats do from. Should be worth ; they are happy, which is why they do not understand what it.! Phobic of people, every single dog is afraid of a wide of. From storm anxiety, but it ’ s arrival because it 's hurting her ears we... Health library you how to can reduce their fear in certain situations hear.... Uneasy during a storm ’ s easier to train and will even themselves. That provided by catnip, cats tend not to advance to the why are dogs afraid of thunder but cats aren't pressure changes, static,... Included can be dangerous to all loud noise and perceive it as something.. Fear, it is anytime and easy in everyday life included can be frightened of thunder simply because do... Are aware that they experience prior to a dog afraid of thunder and some dogs why are dogs afraid of thunder but cats aren't afraid thunder. Hearing of a wide variety of reactions, from mild to extreme to various pheromones intensely technical!