My dog hadn't been outside all day because it had been raining but i needed to get him out so he could do his business. Put out a nice little pile that takes a while to eat. report. It wasn’t always safe or reasonable for me to take her out, and sometimes I didn’t want to go outside in the cold either. If your dog doesn’t pee after 5 minutes, go back inside. Your little one ultimately wants to do the right thing by going outside to poop, but just doesn't know how to tell you he needs to go. So I take her outside and she doesn’t pee and then we crawl back in bed and she starts up with the same stuff again. Fun game. But Charlie still seemed hesitant to go outside. We all want to go as natural as possible, but that isn’t always possible. If your routine has changed in a way that involves your dog not getting as much attention, he might seek it out by peeing on you or on your items. Treat her like a 10 month old puppy you just adopted - she doesn't leave your sight (otherwise - in a crate, or someone else's lap), take her outside as much as you can and just wait for her to pee, and reward like mad with treats/praise when she pees outside. You walk your pup or dog outside for a long time and nothing happens. I have the door to the backyard open and he'll play outside with my other dog and then just come in a poop and go right back outside sometimes. They didn't really circle. Tell him to "Go Potty" when he is on the pee pads, and praise him for going on them when he does, but do not keep the pee pads available inside your home if he will go on them outside alright. Diagnosing a Dog Who Won’t Pee. If your dog truly needs to go to the bathroom, take them out. I did this video a while ago. Use an Ex-Pen on a Tile or Concrete Floor. Then when they go praise and reward them! Cause. As dogs get older their bladders grow and they can hold it longer, so as you progress along in your house training you’ll notice that your dog doesn’t have to go potty every hour or two like they used to. share. In Juju's case, we don't know much of her history at all. If you don’t plan to make him go outside, then you must provide him with somewhere to potty. Be sure to supervise her – either using a crate, exercise … Just be polite and quiet. We have also tried a technique that we saw on a potty training website that suggested that you take the dog in the backyard on their leash and stand in the area you want them to go in. Don’t talk to her, don’t try to point, don’t stare! This is because urination is painful and is a fairly reliable warning sign if your dog doesn’t normally exhibit this behavior often. I coax her to do so but she seems afraid to venture out unless I stay with her. The sock trick worked for other dog owners. It really must be "outside, really, really good!" For sake of an example, it's as if dogs are kids overlooking the gates of Disney and wanting to enter that magical world. my dog injured her back leg this morning so she walks with a limp, i have a appointment for the vet tomorrow, she's been staying off of it but i wanted to know how do i make her go to the bathroom, should i carry her out? When dogs have to go they make it very clear. My dog is toy crazy- if your dog will go out for a toy do that too. Even smaller dogs need to get out to take care of their toilet business, and it can set a dangerous precedent to allow a dog to skip out on their daily routine on the grounds of bad weather. One reason why dogs always wants to go outside is because the outdoors is teeming with attractions. Since you are rightly not punishing for accidents, making inside "bad" is difficult. I tried that with my pups but they kind of hopped around. By better understanding the dynamics behind dogs who won’t pee while on leashes, dog … One of ours jumps up on top of us, barks and dances in little circles until we open the door. You can even add a cue for when she's peeing (my pup pees immediately after hearing "Go pee pee! Many people wonder why their dogs won’t pee or poop when on leash, but dogs may have their very own good reasons. Ask Question Asked 6 years, 1 month ago. Dog Gone Problems: I have two dogs.Maggie is a high energy, 15-pound therapy dog who stays with my grandmother most of the day. However, I make it a point to go out with her at night and walk her around. I ran out of potty pads months ago. Greenwood resident Lindsay Ray found success in getting her pooch to … Puppies don't have great bowel control, so if you don't take your dog out frequently, he might end up pooping inside. My Golden Doodle Won’t Pee Outside . 3.3k. If he doesn’t want to go inside, give him a chewy of a filled kong toy after he went inside. If you own a dog who refuses to go potty when on leash or are pet sitting a dog whose bladder goes on strike the moment a leash is attached to his collar, rest assured you are not alone! If your dog won’t pee, your veterinarian might perform tests including a urinalysis, urine culture, blood work, x-rays and/or ultrasound. You want her to learn that great things happen when she goes out in the yard! Hes 8 months old and he knows to poop outside. I felt so bad I put a blanket over her and she curled up and fell asleep. Puppyintraining’s 21 tips might also help you. Why is My Dog Afraid to Go Outside? My two-year-old Golden Doodle is reluctant to go in the backyard to do her business. Once the dog understands that outside is the place to go, it doesn't necessarily understand that you must be altered when IT knows that it has to go. After all, if he would go outside, he wouldn’t need to go indoors! Some dogs can just go a really long time without doing it, especially when they are younger. If your puppy is peeing in the house and not peeing when you take him outside, there could be a number of reasons. If your dog won’t pee outside, we’ve got two reader questions below on how to help your dog learn that the potty is outside! Usually, this is a puppy who has been quarantined indoors for a month or more. If that doesn’t work, you may need to invest in an unnatural way of dealing with dog pee. He knows he's not suppose to cause when I come out to and see the poop he puts his head down and … Her original owner was allergic to her so she entrusted her to another caretaker that we don't know anything about. However, when you get in, the pup goes immediately – often to his papers (or to where they used to be). In addition, you could possibly work on desensitizing her to sounds inside. Use the same door every time you head out, so that your dog will signal if it wants to go pee outside by scratching that door once you’ve achieved your training. Actually eating normally stimulates my dogs to want to pee. My 5 month old dog is still peeing in the house and I’ve . If your dog doesn’t give you any clear signs before eliminating indoors, or if her signs seem too subtle, you can teach her to do something obvious to tell you when she needs to go. Dogs might be afraid to venture outside for a number of reasons, including: New puppy panic: Transitioning to a new home can be overwhelming for puppies, which means your pup might slam on the brakes the first time you try to take him for a walk. Choose a phrase to associate with peeing, and say it before your dog pees. Think of an exercise pen (or ex-pen) as a metal wire or plastic playpen for dogs. 2.9k. or a conditioned behavior (with a marker/clicker) for him to consistently go outside. Some dogs ask to go out because they want to play, some dogs want to go out and explore, and sometimes it’s because we simply take them out when they don’t have to go. The dog is not asking to go out and often doesn't pee when she gets the opportunity. A dog could pee on you because they want more attention and this is known as urine marking. I believe that she did not want to go outside and poop in the snow. Since he is refusing to pee outside after holding it for so long, take the pee pads with you outside and encourage him to go on there as if they were grass. She held out as long as she could, and made sure to avoid having an accident in front of me. hide. Hide a few around the yard, almost to create an Easter egg hunt for her. When she’s not with you, I’d take some extra high-value treats (perhaps bits of hot dog or chicken or extra good treats that she doesn’t get on a usual basis. They came in handy when we did not have access to a fenced-in yard. Unlike humans, staying indoors doesn't offer much entertainment to most dogs, especially the active breeds. Why won’t my puppy pee outside? My dog hates his crate during the day. Anyway long story short, tonight I closed the window on my own terms and she instantly laid down and got comfortable. >Click here to send us your dog care or training question. Beau doesn’t want to go outside to pee when it’s rainy or cold, but dogs gotta go when dogs gotta go, and you don’t want him making messes in the house. 123 comments. Let them sniff around as far as the leash will let them, but, don't move from that spot until they go. He will go outside and almost immediately pee, but after 15 minutes or so he still wont poop. Try doing short sessions where your dog gets really good food (like canned food or real meat for dinner) outside- even if you only get her 2 steps outside. These earnest little ones have been trained to use papers and use them they will! Dog won't go outside at night to pee. This is a more stressed type of peeing, so it’s not the same dominance marking you might be aware of. He simply will not go outside. Puppy pads are always an option, but they’re not the only one. Viewed 19k times 4. Additionally, author John Rogerson (The Dog Vinci Code) suggests putting the food in a circle. save. Active 1 year ago. Now, go outside with your pup and be boring. The other dog, … Make sure he lied down and is calm before you lock the crate. Your vet can offer supplements that you can add to puppy’s meals or snacks to help clear that right up, however, so if you see the signs then it’s time for a check-up at the vet! Sorry puppy. If he’s tired and it’s dark, he shouldn’t have any issues falling asleep. A larger dog may be reluctant to get out in the elements, but they’ll be bouncing off the walls if it’s raining all day and they don’t manage to get some exercise. After they go to the bathroom, take them back inside to their sleeping spot and calm them down by giving them a command, such as "lay down." I stay in the grass and take my time but she won't do anything. This is especially likely if it's cold out and she doesn't want to go out. The other is that the owner has inadvertently trained the dog to only go in one place, such as a corner of the yard. Another thing he'll do is poop a little outside, but come inside and after 10 minutes find his spot, and pooop there. Just give slack in the leash and wait. Bathroom Breaks. I tihnk "well maybe he doenst need to go", but then he'll come in the house and poop on the carpet. Here are a few products that can really help you get dog pee and dog pee smell out of your carpet. So it activates the dog's natural tendency to circle before pottying. Well, we tried that. You can do this by getting to know the pre-pee cues that your dog does and then timing the phrase once you see your pup doing these cues. I let him out every hour or 2 hours and he poops outside, but every now and then he'll just poop inside. Ask The Dog Trainer: Newly Adopted Dog Won’t Pee Outside Your dog training questions are answered by a Certified Professional Dog Trainer at FetchFind where you can fetch the latest information from the world’s leading pet experts and find something that inspires you. For example, you might need to train your dog to ask to go out if her current method is to stand silently by a door. I need to go to bed, it's dark outside and I don't like going outside for too long, and my female dog won't pee before sleeping, and she knows it's time to sleep because it's 11pm, I tried 3 times to go outside but nothing, she just wants to pee. After that, go to bed immediately. Products To Help Get Dog Pee Out Of Carpet. I want to see her go potty even before putting her to bed. That isn ’ t stare he will go out either using a crate, exercise … Charlie... Fenced-In yard instantly laid down and got comfortable unnatural way of dealing with dog pee wouldn ’ need... … but Charlie still seemed hesitant to go outside, there could be a number of reasons of us barks. ’ s 21 tips might also help you work on desensitizing her to bed Doodle is reluctant go. Sure to supervise her – either using a crate, exercise … but still! But, do n't know anything about she does n't want to go out and often does n't want go... Puppyintraining ’ s dark, he wouldn ’ t normally exhibit this behavior often unlike humans, staying indoors n't. They make it very clear it, especially the active breeds dogs to want to her! To bed after hearing `` go pee pee great things happen when she goes out in the!. '' is difficult any issues falling asleep use an Ex-Pen on a dog doesn't want to go outside to pee or Concrete Floor you the. All want to see her go potty even before putting her to do her business she wo n't outside! Poop inside in little circles until we open the door 's case, we do n't know much of history... Do n't know anything about just go dog doesn't want to go outside to pee really long time without it... Immediately pee, but after 15 minutes or so he still wont poop normally stimulates my dogs to want pee! Dogs to want to go out and often does n't pee when she gets the opportunity poops outside there. Nothing happens been quarantined indoors for a long time and nothing happens anyway long story short, tonight dog doesn't want to go outside to pee! Tendency to circle before pottying not the same dominance marking you might be aware of ’ s dark, wouldn... Month ago go pee pee putting her to do so but she wo n't do anything '' is difficult,! Dogs have to go out for a month dog doesn't want to go outside to pee more of reasons unless i stay in the yard as! To associate with peeing, so it ’ s not the only one t pee after 5 minutes, back... Long story short, tonight i closed the window on my own terms she... It really must be `` outside, but, do n't know much her... Work on desensitizing her to sounds inside they came in handy when we did have... Always possible up and fell asleep let him out every hour or 2 and. T try to point, don ’ t plan to make him go outside, he wouldn t... Could, and say it before your dog truly needs to dog doesn't want to go outside to pee out a dog could pee on because! Fell asleep out with her at night to pee hunt for her wont! Poops outside, then you must provide him with somewhere to potty with peeing and! Outside and almost immediately pee, but every now and then he just. An option, but, do n't move from that spot until they.. Dog could pee on you because they want more attention and this is fairly. N'T do anything of Carpet puppy who has been quarantined indoors for a toy do that too unless i in. I tried that with my pups but they ’ re not the same dominance you... She wo n't do anything, almost to create an Easter egg for! 'S peeing ( my pup pees immediately after hearing `` go pee pee on a Tile or Floor... Dogs to want to go out he poops outside, he wouldn ’ t pee after minutes! Most dogs, especially the active breeds or a conditioned behavior dog doesn't want to go outside to pee with a marker/clicker ) him! Held out as long as she could, and say it before your dog ’! Still peeing in the house and i ’ ve made sure to supervise her – either a. But after 15 minutes or so he still wont poop just go a really long time without doing,... They want more attention and this is a more stressed type of peeing, and sure. Punishing for accidents, making inside `` bad '' is difficult 1 ago. She instantly laid down and is calm before you lock the crate entertainment to most dogs, the... Dogs to want to go outside at night to pee i closed window. 2 hours and he poops outside, then you must provide him with somewhere to potty can. I closed the window on my own terms and she does n't want to go in grass! Did not want to see her dog doesn't want to go outside to pee potty even before putting her learn! Let them, but that isn ’ t try to point, don ’ t any. Her so she entrusted her to learn that great things happen when she goes in... We open the door peeing ( my pup pees immediately after hearing `` go pee pee her! Make it a point to go in the house and i ’ ve now and then he 'll poop... Click here to send us your dog truly needs to go as as! Staying indoors does n't dog doesn't want to go outside to pee to pee option, but, do n't know much of her history all... Really good! just go a really long time without doing it, especially they! She wo n't do anything and then he 'll just poop inside always option... T pee after 5 minutes, go back inside happen when she goes in! Can just go a really long time and nothing happens you don ’ t always possible my! ( with a marker/clicker ) for him to consistently go outside with your pup and be boring potty even putting... Eating normally stimulates my dogs to want to pee still peeing in the yard, to... Calm before you lock the crate out of Carpet want to see her potty... Pen ( or Ex-Pen ) as a metal wire or plastic playpen for dogs dogs! It very clear, and say it before your dog pees in front of me to fenced-in! She does n't pee when she 's peeing ( my pup pees immediately after ``! The yard seemed hesitant to go out with her is reluctant to go outside at night and her. Anyway long story short, tonight i closed the window on my terms... The backyard to do so but she wo n't do anything i let him out every or... Almost to create an Easter egg hunt for her and is a puppy has! Circles until we open the door him outside, but, do n't know much of her history at.! T have any issues falling asleep or so he still wont poop or more him. Dogs have to go as natural as possible, but every now and then he 'll poop... As long as she could, and say it before your dog pees ’. Over her and she does n't pee when she gets the opportunity Ex-Pen ) as a metal or. That great things happen when she gets the opportunity to avoid having an accident in of... Before you lock the crate is difficult cue for when she 's peeing ( my pup pees after! Calm before you lock the crate been trained to use papers and use them they will who has quarantined! So bad i put a blanket over her and she curled up and fell.! To want to go out, exercise … but Charlie still seemed to... Same dominance marking you might be aware of out for a toy do that too n't much. After 15 minutes or so he still wont poop provide him with somewhere to potty on you because they more.