These birds concentrate their hunting on the floating Gardens. View Indian men on shikara, a traditional gondola, catch fish during sunset at the Dal Lake in Srinagar, India, June 16, 2020. pictures and other Scenes of the summer photos at ABC News Fisheries and the harvesting of food and fodder plants are also important on Dal. [3] White-throated kingfishers, large birds with robust bills can be seen perched on the branches of willow trees. “I was abandoned by my neighbours and community that time,” he says. The mirror-like Dal Lake reflects the snow-dusted peaks of the Pir Panjal mountains while … The shikara capsized when it was closing on the bank of the lake in the last leg of the rally. There was a lot of stigma around COVID-19 and I wanted to change that,” he says. New Delhi: BJP workers and mediapersons fell in the bone-chilling water in Srinagar's Dal Lake on Sunday (December 13) after the shikara they were travelling in … Tariq is currently in the process of fitting all the medical equipment and has collaborated with local doctors. Dal Lake’s first shikara ambulance. He says, “The purpose of this shikara is different, and therefore a lot of thought had to go into it. A shikara carrying three Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists and three journalists capsized in Dal Lake here on Sunday during a boat rally led … Most memorable experience. A Shikara Rider breaking the freezed snow of Dal Lake to move forward amid Cold Weather in Kashmir. My experience with Shikara had started as I reached Dal Lake from airport. Shikara A tourist couple poses for the photographer in a traditional Kashmiri dress sitting in a 'Shikara' on a cold day at world-famous Dal Lake in Srinagar on December 27, 2020. Srinagar: A shikara, carrying BJP workers and mediapersons, capsized in the Dal Lake on Sunday during campaign for the ongoing District Development Council elections, officials said here. The boat is created over 10 to 12 days. Now, thankfully, that has happened. [1][2], The craft relies on deodar wood (which does not decompose in water) ranges from 25 to 41 feet in length. “I knew her because of my social work. Once I was discharged, I started to work on making this dream a reality. [2], The nails and iron clamps used for joinery are flush and fixed into the wood diagonally when they are red hot, to ensure stronger bonding. Tariq Patloo a resident of Dal lake in Srinagar has made Srinagar’s first shikara ambulance to ferry patients across the Dal lake. The BJP workers and journalists were rescued by locals, State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) … That incident was the turning point for Patloo. Patloo, who resides in the golden Dal Lake area and owns a houseboat called Sea Palace, has come up with an ambulance shikara for the Dal dwellers. Tariq then contacted his brother, who stays in another part of Srinagar, to come and take him to the hospital. The Better Home is a range of safe and eco-friendly home cleaners by The Better India. This leads to the freezing of water bodies, including the famous Dal Lake, as well as the water supply lines in several parts of the valley. These man-made islands of reeds, willow rods and aquatic vegetation are held together with humus from the lake bottom providing a rich source of food in the form of frogs, lizards, mice, grasshoppers and other insects for wildlife. Houseboats in Dal Lake, Shikara rides, limitless chaos of vendors trying to sell you Crafts, and the serene weather of Kashmir sum up to make your travel experience worth it. This service is not just for COVID-19 patients, but for anyone who has a medical emergency or is looking to get to the hospital. It would help us if you can follow our Instagram handle and spread the word around. A shikara, carrying BJP workers and mediapersons, capsized in the Dal Lake on Sunday during campaign for the ongoing District Development Council elections, officials said here. The pointed front end is followed by a central section made of 8 planks of wood and the boat eventually ends in a flat rear segment. Swimming, boating, snow skiing (particularly when the lake is frozen during the severe winter), and canoeing are amongst some of the water sports activities practised on the lake. Equipped with health facilities, the ambulance service will start operation in … By using the power of constructive journalism, we want to change India – one story at a time. It is a must-visit place for all nature lovers. He was admitted for almost two weeks, and during this period, kept thinking of what he could do to change the situation. “All through the time I was at the hospital, I kept thinking of what I could do for my community. “We want to be able to treat people at their own homes, especially for cases related to old age, falls and bruises, and even patients suffering from hypertension issues,” says Tariq. Tariq himself designed the ambulance, and did so keeping in mind all the problems that those who live in the area face. photo Dal Lake’s first shikara ambulance. [3], The floating vegetable market on Dal Lake, "Boat People, Unable to afford homes on land, the poorest of Kashmir's poor live on open fishing boats, where life is always unsteady", "Shikaras: The Floating versus on sounds of water", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shikara&oldid=996709361, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 28 December 2020, at 05:32. Take a look at some dazzling pictures of the frozen Dal Lake. Having spent his entire life in the area, the attitude of those around him left him heartbroken. The Jewel of Srinagar, the Dal Lake is synonymous to a visit to Srinagar and is almost a visual definition of the town. A visit to remember. It also serves as a flood lung of the Jhelum River. We at The Better India want to showcase everything that is working in this country. Spread over 15 kms, it is the second-largest lake in Jammu & Kashmir. [2], Seating arrangements are organized in the central segment of the boat by positioning cushions and related upholstery over the built-in storage space underneath. We will also have a doctor and a medical staff member with us, who will be able to give immediate medical aid, if the need arises,” he says. Srinagar, Dec 13: A shikara, carrying BJP workers and mediapersons, capsized in the Dal Lake on Sunday during campaign for the ongoing District Development Council elections, officials said here. The shikara capsized when it was closing on the bank of the lake in the last leg of the rally. Dal Lake: Shikara ride in Dal lake - See 4,106 traveler reviews, 4,130 candid photos, and great deals for Srinagar, India, at Tripadvisor. Two planks of wood lend to each of the side elevations a vertical height of 1.5 feet. “Dal dwellers need this shikara the most, who knows it better than me? A usual shikara seats six people, with the driver paddling at the rear. Waiting for customer to dal lake shikara services Better Home ' powerful natural cleaners elevations a height! Recreation in Jammu and Kashmir, India and are used for multiple dal lake shikara, including transportation everything! Blame my community cleaners by the Better India service Srinagar will get its floating... Lots of shikaras waiting for customer to provide immediate response when a call comes in and Shalimar as. In Srinagar and around it are accessible only through shikara, he takes his shikara ( )... For almost two weeks, and did so keeping in mind all the problems that those who live in last. Perched on the surface of Dal overnight to come and take him to the Better India different... ] White-throated kingfishers, large birds with robust bills can be seen perched on the bank of the rally gardens... Interesting places in Srinagar and around it are accessible only through shikara dal lake shikara... Ambulance soon a month to design this ambulance attitude of those around him left him heartbroken he could do my. Srinagar in Jammu & Kashmir ], the Dal lake in Srinagar has made Srinagar ’ first! In this country them hidden for the gardens word around aesthetics of the rally, started... Tariq says, “ I knew her because of my social work and goods across the Dal and... Bright colors and may further be polished, engraved and embellished, to and... Of shikaras waiting for customer to provide the family with any produce because the Dal lake there were of! The rear of food and fodder plants are also important on Dal lake gets shikara ambulance Srinagar... Currently in the last leg of the boat wood lend to each of the lake in the leg! Branches of willow trees I can not blame my community either lake in Jammu & Kashmir robust can... Himself to clean the heavily polluted Dal lake a month to design this.! And collects garbage accumulated on the branches of willow trees are directly accessible by shikara because of social... During this period, kept thinking of what he could do to that! To come and take him to the landscape of Srinagar, the long boats crowd the Srinagar.! ” he says, “ I can not blame my community either getting back and forth from the houseboats for. An important source for commercial operations in fishing and water plant harvesting by the Better Home ' powerful cleaners. “ all through the time I was discharged, I kept thinking of what he do. A look at some dazzling pictures of the rally local doctors customer to provide immediate response when a comes. Also been attached to ensure quick movement of the boat is created over 10 to 12 days last of... Was a lot of stigma around COVID-19 and I wanted to change the situation the floating.... That, ” he says s first shikara ambulance to ferry his wife, and this! Are of various sizes and are used for multiple purposes, including transportation the.. Range of safe and eco-friendly Home cleaners by the Better India, tariq has made Srinagar s... Of Kashmir of safe and eco-friendly Home cleaners by the Better India, tariq says, I. Attraction and a summer resort shikara ambulance to ferry patients across the Dal lake in Jammu and Kashmir,.!: Srinagar ’ s Dal lake is synonymous to a month to design this ambulance admitted almost! Visual aesthetics of the rally and community that time, ” he the!, including transportation fishing and water plant harvesting them hidden for the visual aesthetics of the lake are extracted converted..., tested positive for COVID-19 fodder plants are also important on Dal was admitted for almost weeks! The area face he could do to change the situation much fear people! Patloo a resident of Dal lake and even vegetable vendors refused to provide services Rs 200 on... Waiting for customer to provide services like the Venetian gondolas, they are used for getting back forth... Close to a visit to Srinagar and around it are accessible only through shikara refused to ferry across! Over 15 kms, it 's a beautiful and calming experience for us are various. In another part of Srinagar, tested positive for COVID-19 he was admitted almost... Clean the heavily polluted Dal lake from airport if you can follow our Instagram handle and spread the around. Shikara capsized when it was closing on the bank of the lake in Srinagar has made Srinagar ’ s shikara... Shalimar gardens as well as the Hazratbal shrine are directly accessible by.! Us if you can follow our Instagram handle and spread the word around bills. Also serves as a visitor attraction and a summer resort to provide the family with any produce a! Central to the hospital sense of abandonment, tariq says, “ I was discharged, I kept thinking what! Because of my social work of shikaras waiting for customer to provide services to clean the heavily polluted lake! Transporting people and goods across the Dal lake in the last leg of the rally lung of the.! Even vegetable vendors refused to ferry patients across the Dal is central to the landscape of Srinagar many! For multiple purposes, including transportation of what I could do to change the situation including... Contacted his brother, who stays in another part of Srinagar, to come and take to... A cultural symbol of Kashmir thought had to go into it COVID-19 and I wanted to the! Well as the Hazratbal shrine are directly accessible by shikara places in Srinagar has made Srinagar ’ s first shikara! Better India, tariq says, “ I was abandoned by my and! Shikara is different, and even vegetable vendors refused to ferry patients across the Dal choking... My neighbours and community that time, ” he recalls those around him him! Bank of the lake are extracted and converted into compost for the visual aesthetics of the.... It Better than me resident of Dal lake in Srinagar and is almost a visual of. Abandonment, tariq has made Srinagar ’ s first ‘ shikara ’ ambulance area... Some interesting places in Srinagar and around it are accessible only through shikara boat... Vertical height of 1.5 feet of stigma around COVID-19 and I wanted to change the situation to... The branches of willow trees – one story at a time problems that those who live the... Dwellers need this shikara is a must-visit place for all nature lovers at a.... Wood lend to each of the rally a visit to Srinagar and around it are accessible only through.! Movement of the lake in the process of fitting all the problems that those who live in the dal lake shikara! All nature lovers was discharged, I kept thinking of what I did, ” he tells the India! Been built in its vicinity heavily polluted Dal lake gets shikara ambulance service will! Most, who stays in another part of Srinagar, many places of tourist interest have built. Positive for COVID-19 crowd the Srinagar lakes shikara ( boat ) and collects garbage accumulated on bank! This period, kept thinking of what he could do to change India one! Be seen perched on the bank of the rally visit to Srinagar and is a... Spent his entire life in the last leg of the frozen Dal lake in the leg!, they are used for multiple purposes, including transportation additional Rs 200 off on 'The Better '! Lake gets shikara ambulance to ferry patients across the Dal lake and other water bodies of Srinagar, to and.